Sunday, May 9, 2010

Silence

On my mind this morning is the beauty and value of silence. It's currently quiet in my house and the only sound I can hear is the humming of the refrigerator. My kitties are napping... or so I think. I can only see one of the two. The TV is off and the blinds are still closed.

During the work week I get so caught up in my work schedule and to-do's. There is always something that I find myself rushing to do. I've got to figure out what to wear (which is a long and complicated saga). I've got to catch the train. Once I arrive at my office I'm met with my list of work tasks. And so on and so on. There is always something that keeps me moving and with that movement comes noise. I find that too often this is distracting noise. Telephones ringing, the sound of new emails arriving in my Inbox, chatter of colleagues in the office hallway, the blaring sound of my neighbor's TV... a million different sounds make up each day. This morning I hear nothing and I have no real obligations to move me from my current spot. It's lovely. I love when I can sit in my apartment and enjoy the sound of nothing.

I relish the sound of silence. I wish you all the beauty of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment